Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Dog's Death

Earlier this week, I was awakened by a wretched, inconsolable wailing, the kind my noise my mother made after my 12th-standard examination results came in. I knew at once that it could not be coming from the home of my aged neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. M; had either of them keeled over, the survivor would more likely than not have been breaking out some of that exceptional 1999 Barolo-Ciabot Mentin Ginestra kept in the cellar for just such an occasion.

It turned out that a loathsome couple who live across the road – you know the type, 1.83 children fed on organic groceries, two cars, $90,837,468,947,567.99 post-tax annual income, makers of regular tax-deductible contributions to the famine-stricken in Ethiopia – had lost their prized Pomeranian bitch. Having come under the wheels of a large four-wheel drive Mercedes, the beast was flat as a sheet of cardboard. By the time I showed up to see what the to-do was all about, Brat 0.83 was being carted off in a straitjacket for psychoanalysis (Brat 1.0, having been lobotomized with generous doses of Prozac some months earlier, was wearing his usual manic grin but was otherwise placid). Daddy Dear, as is de rigueur for New Men, had tears rolling down his cheeks; Mommy Dear, as befits a New Woman, had an ashen but firm-chinned look, like Cary Grant in The Lonely Heart.

Now, I’ve seen perfectly sane Hindustanis get all tight about Pomeranian bitches, so I wasn’t as taken by surprise by this tamasha as you might imagine. My sometime friend General B., who possessed two of the finest, was deeply concerned about the threat to their chastity posed by the virile street-dogs of Leh. Using his considerable influence, he had what appeared to be an entire regiment of Naga troops posted around his home, thus ensuring any roadside dogs who attempted to outrage the modesty ended up up as dinner. I have to add, though, that General B.’s concern was purely pragmatic: he didn’t want his daughter’s chastity violated, since she’d then cost him a prettier-than-usual penny on the marriage market; and he didn’t want the bitches’ chastity violated, since he needed pure-bred puppies to pay for beti-jaan’s dowry.

What did startle me, though, was that the to-do wasn’t about the fact that my neighbors’ Pomeranian had died without becoming the mother of a thousand sons, thus robbing Daddy Dear and Mommy Dear of the means to gather the vast loot they will without dispute have to cough up to get their idiot offspring into Harvard. It was grief, plain and simple. In between bouts of sobbing, what conversation there was centered around the grim business of the mortal remains the kuttiya-jaan. It turned out Daddy Dear and Mommy Dear couldn’t abide burying the dead beast, while 1.0 and 0.83 had a problem with cremating it. I helpfully suggested that they try selling the carcass to the Korean restaurant up the road, and thus make the best of a bad deal, but what seemed to me to be eminently pragmatic elicited only disgusted looks from the goras.

“Why not freeze-dry it”, someone suggested? What? I gagged on the fourth single-malt I had helped myself to in an effort to still my grief at my neighbors’ loss (ahem, ‘nuff said), certain that if my humble suggestion had seemed tasteless to the natives, this would without doubt lead to violence. To my horror, promptly everyone agreed that this was a wonderful idea. It turned out there are a large number of establishments that specialize in freeze-drying dead animals, so that their owners can gaze upon their amazingly life-like corpses with love and tenderness. Half an hour later, some ghoulish-looking fellow showed up to do the needful, bearing with him both the implements of his trade and a large numbers of testimonials about the joys his company had provided to hundreds of bereaved pet-owners. “We loved him so much”, one couple had written of their dead cat, Snuffy, who is perched for all time to come on their mantlepiece, “and to have him back is great!!”

I asked my native guides to make some discreet inquiries about the costs involved in this bizarre enterprise. Starting at $375.99 for a carcass weighing up to 1.5 kilograms, the price can run up to $ 575.99 for a beast of up to 5 kilograms, and an additional $ 100.99 for every additional kilogram. Apparently, each year thousands of loved pets are by this means restored to life, or a sit-in-one-place fashion of it (which is arguably better, given the manners of some animals and their people). It also turned out that Jesustanis lavish on live dogs as much as they do on dead ones: people buy dog toothpaste ($4.99 each, $47.99 for a dozen), dog cosmetics ($39.99 upwards), dog jewelry ($69.99 upwards) and even the services of plastic surgeons to address their self-esteem issues. There are dog psychoanalysts, dog stylists, and dog…

No, wait a minute, there aren’t!!!!!

Unlike in Hindustan, Jesustanis do not allow their dogs to copulate in public, which does rather open up the question of how these poor animals ever get any, you know, relief. I mean, being taken to the breeder once a year for a soulless five-minute fuck wouldn’t bring any joy into your life, would it? Just ask the millions of women in Hindustan condemned to precisely that fate. Opportunity knocks! I remember this fine young woman at an agricultural fair in Chandigarh some years ago, who was demonstrating the means used to obtain semen from pigs for the purposes of artificial insemination (for those of you so inclined, it involved a lubricated rubber tube, 'nuff said, again). She was surrounded by hundreds of mesmerized peasants, all in advanced stages of pig-envy. I’m sure I have her number somewhere. All I need is a financier, and then I too will be well on my way to a wife, 1.83 brats, and a post-tax income of $90,837,468,947,567.99.

1 comment:

P. Venkatraman said...

Hello PS:

I really appreciate your sense of humor and I thought I will share some of mine with you. My entire blog is at http://bportend.blogspot.com

Venkat

India Outsourcing BPO Costs - 4/? ( Poaching )

Hello,

Continuing with my list of reasons as to why costs in Pune are coming on par with that of Bangalore and Chennai..

3. You sow and I will reap:

Most of the BPOs always want to staff in a hurry. In Tamil there is a saying that goes something like..If I see the dog I do not have the stone to throw at it..and when I have the stone..the dog is not to be seen. Lest my US readers who love their dogs more than we do here, take umbrage, the saying refers to a street mongrel with rabid tendencies and not that darling you dote upon at home. But I digress.

Coming back...when a BPO is set up, it is a chicken and egg story. Which comes first? Customers or employees. You should have one to have the other. In case my US readers are still bristling, this is where the dog and stone analogy kicks in. If you have customers...and you know their needs...you know whom to hire. But if you hire ahead of the sales then you add to the monthly burn. And you can never be sure of the length of the sales cycle and the customer commitment. So Sales, being the magicians that they are, indulge in some poetic license when it comes to stating delivery capabilities.

But once the sale is closed and the initial pilot has gone through successfully, customers get greedy. The clients' manager who has P & L responsibility wants to cut costs by sending more work to India. He has tasted success and wants to reap it all in. A quarter coming to an end adds a tremendous sense of urgency to stone that dog. The term 'scaling up' gets bandied about a lot in the late night / early morning conference calls.

Sales has till then, knowing how to do its job well, given an impression that in Pune / Bangalore / Chennai you can get the required skill-sets freely roaming on the streets in numbers greater than the snakes and tigers combined. In case some of my Indian readers take umbrage at using 'tigers' and 'poaching' in the same mail please excuse me. But I tigress.

The clients' manager, taking huge gulps of his Kool-aid, wants to see head count go up starting yesterday. Sales starts telling Head of Delivery to now start delivering. They have got the customer and their job is now over. The Delivery Head sees prospects of egg ( or chicken, or whatever ) all over his face. He yanks the HR guy who in turn spoils the sleep of the head hunters. The word is out on the streets...300 new hires in one week. Bonuses if targets are met.

The head hunters have until then also done a good job of their own Sales to the HR Manager. Led him to believe that required skill-sets in abundant numbers are all practically jostling for space in his rolodex and databases. Why..just last week he had to remove all the snakes, tigers, chicken, egg and dogs combined to create more space.

The Head Hunters have to now do what they have to do. Get the head count. But where to get ready made skilled trained staff from. Go up to the competition down the street and offer something more. Something more..like may be...double the salary.

But what about delivery costs, the CA ( CPA ) in me might ask. But the Head of Delivery and the HR Manager will themselves be offered double salary at some point of time before the bean counters roll in.

More in next...


Venkat